VEG OUT Challenge Note: Serve with sourdough bread or 1/2 sandwich using Chickpea Salad from lunch on Day 5
This recipe was featured on the Dr. Oz episode, “Cooking Lessons for Longevity”
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, diced
1 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
2 stalks celery, or one fennel bulb, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
16 oz broccoli (about 7 cups, packed)
6 cups water or vegetable stock, divided
1/2 tsp red pepper
1. Place cashews in a small bowl. Cover with water (hot water speeds the process). Soak for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
2. Add oil to a large pot over medium high heat. Once hot, add onion and a pinch of salt and sauté for about three minutes.
3. Add celery and carrots and sauté for another five minutes.
4. Add garlic and broccoli and sauté for another five minutes.
5. Add 5 cups water or vegetable stock, salt, and pepper. Stir and bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
6. Drain cashews. Place cashews and 1 cup water or vegetable stock in a blender or Vitamix. Blend until very smooth and creamy. There should be no clumps. Set the cashew cream aside.
7. Puree soup using a large blender or immersion blender. You’ll likely have to do this in batches.
8. Once soup is pureed, stir in cashew cream. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if desired.