African Heritage Spicy Chickpeas (Oldways)
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin olive oil
1 medium size yellow onion
1 teaspoon curry
1 teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon allspice
A pinch of cayenne pepper
2 cans garbanzo beans (14.5 oz), no salt added, or thoroughly rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz), no salt added
1, Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil into a deep pan, shallow pot, or dutch oven; cook on medium heat until the oil is hot.
2. Add the diced onions and let them simmer in their juices, stirring just a couple of times, until they are translucent (about 4 minutes).
3. Add all your spices.
4. Let the spices cook into the onions for about 2 minutes.
5. Add the diced tomatoes, with their liquid, and cook for another 2 minutes.
6. Add the two cans of chickpeas and toss to cover; let them simmer on medium-low for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Finally, add a pinch or two of salt to taste.
Oldways’ mission is to inspire good health through cultural food traditions.
At Oldways, nutrition, culture and sustainability are built into our main mission of preserving and promoting traditional foods in ways that are good for people and good for the planet. To this end, we’ve organized a range of conferences – from scientific ones focusing on the commonsense truth around traditional diets to overseas symposia to introduce chefs, journalists and everyday food lovers to the classic dishes of Morocco, Spain, Tunisia, Italy, Greece, France and Turkey. We develop resources to help consumers and health professionals embrace traditional diets and use healthy ingredients. We also founded the Chefs’ Collaborative to support local and sustainable foods in America’s restaurants.