Maple Walnut Teff Porridge (Kristina DeMuth, MPH, RD)
Serving size: 4
- 1 cup teff (grain not the flour)
- 2 cups water
- 1-2 cups unsweetened plant-based milk (I use soy)
- 3-4 ripe bananas (I used frozen ones)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (crushed/ chopped)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (add more to taste)
1. In a pot, bring water to a boil and then add the teff. Reduce the heat to medium. Continue to cook for several minutes until the teff starts to thicken.
2. Add in the plant-based milk and continue to stir.
3. Chop the bananas and add them to the pot. Allow the bananas to cook down. Continue to stir.
4. Remove the porridge from the heat as it starts to thicken. Add in the chopped walnuts and stir.
5. Serve the porridge immediately, or allow it to cool and continue to thicken.
*Note: I like to prepare my porridge the night before and store it in a glass container. It makes for a really fast breakfast in the morning. If you find that the porridge has thickened more as it sits, add additional plant-based milk for your liking. Enjoy!
* Oats or quinoa can be used in place of teff